
As you can see in the pic I’m going to be redoing my beds. I’m in 6b. I’m assuming these aren’t ready to be lopped? I need to transplant them to another bed. They’re only a year old so I’m hoping roots aren’t too big yet to move to their final home, so now or wait?
by Vondis

6 Comments
Wait until just before your first frost. I try to let mine die off completely before cutting down for the year.
You should let it die back naturally and trim it after it’s dormant.
Doing it now risks opening the canopy to light and warming the soil in the coming weeks despite your frost warning. It’s going to spend energy producing spears that won’t mature and that you don’t want until spring.
I don’t cut mine back until after a frost has turned them brown and they’ve put all the energy to the roots.
When I’ve transplanted I did it in early April while they were still dormant. I wanted the roots to settle in before they started shooting up later in the spring. You can also do it in the late fall after they’ve gone dormant, I just don’t like gardening when it’s cold out. Don’t do it while they are still green as it’s easier for them to get transplant shock while still active. Make sure you dig wide and deep gently. Even after a year the roots can have really spread. I let my transplants establish their roots a year before harvesting.
Is there a reason to have a raised planter box but not put in additional soil to raise planting height?
Edit: is that why you note the “as you can see”?
Please wait to cut back after your first frost. At that point, the fronds will have been killed off by the freeze anyway.
I’m experimenting this year.. I mowed it down earlier then ever (3ish weeks before my killing frost, had some light ones) and going to see how it does in spring. Weeds were crazy so I flail mowed it.